Testing for Legionella
Testing for Legionella must be carried out by a professional to identify any possible sources of infection and a Legionella Risk Assessment may be needed. Swiftclean are a certified member of the Legionella Control Association and are fully qualified to carry out legionella testing, risk assessments and advise on compliance to L8 standards.
Legionella bacteria is found to be present in up to 13% of water samples and it is common to find harmless levels of legionella and other bacteria in mains supplied drinking water. For this reason, it is recommended that you do not use a legionella testing kit, as the samples should be taken from specific high risk areas (such as low temperatures in hot water systems, healthcare facilities etc).
Your Legal Responsibility
Under the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) regulations, owners and operators of all commercial premises (including: Social Housing, Facilities Management, Hotels & Stadiums, Healthcare, Education and others) have a legal responsibility to control the risk of legionella bacteria in water systems. Owners and operators of all commercial properties are required to:
- Identify and assess the sources of risk (see Legionella Risk Assessment for more information)
- Prepare a scheme for preventing or controlling the risk
- Appoint a person to be managerially responsible
- Implement and manage precautions
- Keep records of the precautions implemented
Swiftclean Legionella compliance services
Swiftclean offers a range of legionella control services to help you ensure that your properties remain healthy, safe, legal and compliant, find out more:
In addition, we provide:
- FREE quotation/technical advice – Nationwide – call 0800 243 471
- Works carried out in accordance with the Legionella Control Association (LCA) code of conduct
- Risk Assessments and control schemes carried out to L8, BSRIA and CIBSE guidelines
- All works fully certified and legionella control log books provided
- Fully trained and directly employed staff
- Method Statements and Risk Assessments provided site specific as required
- Training for your own staff following risk assessment
Contact us for more information or for your FREE, no obligation quote.