If regular cleaning is not undertaken, fats, oily deposits and fibrous particles can accumulate in kitchen extract systems, reducing air flow efficiency and producing a warm greasy environment for bacteria and cockroaches to breed.
These areas, if not professionally maintained, can quickly become a fire risk and can be a major cause of the spread of fire in food production establishments. Under certain circumstances flame or very high temperatures can ignite the grease causing fire to spread rapidly through the duct. Therefore, it is of particular importance that grease extract systems are regularly inspected and cleaned as required, to ensure they do not pose a major potential fire risk at any time.
In addition to this, failure to ensure regular cleaning of kitchen grease extract systems can invalidate buildings insurance cover. We are aware of many cases where insurers have refused to pay out on millions of pounds worth of claims following fires where the insured has not complied with the warranties on their buildings insurance policies regarding regular cleaning of the grease extract systems.
View essential advice from BESA on how to identify potential fire hazards in a grease extract ductwork system here: Fire Hazard advice from B&ES.
The Health & Safety Executive and industry and insurance guidance and regulations stipulate that kitchen extract systems should be kept clean to minimise fire and other risks. And the BESA specification TR19® Grease provides specific guidance on methods of measuring and defining cleanliness as a bench mark for good practice. Swiftclean conducts kitchen grease extract risk assessments in line with RC44.
It is your responsibility to ensure that kitchen grease extract systems (canopies, filters, ductwork, risers and fans) in all commercial kitchens and the like are inspected as required by your buildings insurance policy, in accordance with Fire Safety and Workplace (Health, Safety & Welfare) Regulations. Find out now if your kitchen extract is compliant with the new TR19® Grease specification with the Swiftclean Kitchen Extract compliance checker.
Building managers are required to:
- Identify and assess the sources of risk
- Prepare a scheme for preventing or controlling the risk
- Appoint a person to be managerially responsible
- Implement and manage precautions
- Keep records of the precautions implemented
Swiftclean Kitchen Extract compliance services
- FREE quotation/technical advice – Nationwide – call 0800 243 471
- Complete satisfaction or your money back guaranteed
- Inspections to ensure compliance with current Health & Safety regulations
- Rapid response to your needs
- Inspection methods in line with BESA TR19®Grease specification
- Full inspection reports provided and benchmarked to recognised levels.
Contact us for more information or for your FREE, no obligation quote.